Disclosure: *This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.
Do you feel a bit overwhelmed when it comes to choosing the best natural dog food for your pet? If so, this article may be just what you have been looking for. Let’s get this questioned answered with some in-depth content, helping you to make a dog food choice a whole lot easier.
Since we don’t know one another at this point, let me assume that you may be looking for a new dog food product at this time. Perhaps you have a new puppy, ( precious!) or just unhappy with your current dog food brand and are in search for a new product. With all the dog food products on the market today, many suggesting that they have the best natural dog food, this search can be stressful one.
The purpose of this article is to assist you in this search, and to answer some questions you may have regarding these natural dog food brands and products. Finding the best natural dog food recipe is dependent on a number of factors, which we will discuss below. Let’s get started:
What Is Natural Dog Food?
The word ‘natural’ can be somewhat confusing as it relates to dog food. For a dog food company to make a claim of producing a ‘natural’ product, it must fall under the guidelines set forth by AAFCO. To be clear, AAFCO is a private, nonprofit, voluntary membership association made up of officials that are charged with regulating the sale and distribution of animal feeds (including pet foods) and drug remedies. AAFCO also establishes standard ingredient definitions and nutritional requirements for pet foods. Individual states often use AAFCO’s recommendations to create pet food regulations.
According to PetMD, “The term “natural” conveys an understanding that the item can be found in nature and is not manmade or produced secondary to a chemical or synthetic process. Natural” can be used to describe certain ingredients in a product or the entire product. A product can claim to be “all-natural” or “100% natural” when every ingredient used to create the product falls under the AAFCO definition of the term.”
Why Choose A Natural Dog Food?
I’m pretty sure the answer to this will be obvious, but let’s dig a little bit deeper. Consider your own choice of diet for a second. Let’s assume that your entire food intake consists of nothing but fast foods, fried foods, and foods filled with preservatives. A diet such as this is definitely not a healthy one, and will eventually result in some unhealthy issues.
Look, our furry friends are not much different than us when it comes to an unhealthy diet. Sure, they will lap it up with great satisfaction, but is it really a healthy diet? I would suggest that a diet that consists of such things as artificial ingredients, preservatives, and unhealthy protein sources offers little if any benefits. So what is the solution?
For many dog owners, the answer to this question falls into the category of a natural dog food. Pet parents have become quite diligent in their search for the best natural dog food , and understand the importance of providing their pup with a healthy diet. For many, the choice is one of a natural dog food, realizing the benefits of these specific formulas. Here is a list of some of these benefits:
Natural Dog Food Benefits
- Digestion –A natural diet consisting of quality and healthy ingredients, will help in the digestion process. Healthy natural recipes with a healthy protein source (Real Meat) will help promote regular bowel movements without the complications that an unhealthy diet may provide.
- Healthy Coat & Skin – Ingredients that make up natural dog foods are healthy, and include a source of omega fatty acids and nutrients, which in turn in promote a healthy skin and coat. This is a important detail as it may also help to reduce dryness in the skin and irritation (scratching.)
- Sustained Energy – This benefit is attributed to the healthy, natural ingredients that make up these specific products. Simply put, the consumption of a natural diet will certainly promote a feeling of good health, which tends to increase the energy and vitality of our pets.
- Reduces The Chances of Skin Allergies – Unfortunately, many of our furry friends will suffer with some form of skin allergy within their lifetime. In many cases, this can be attributed to a specific ingredient that is found in some commercial recipes. A natural dog food diet with its wholesome, healthy and most cases with limited ingredients may dramatically reduce the chances of this unwanted experience.
- Retaining Optimal Weight – A diet of healthy, natural ingredients will also help in keeping your pet at its healthy weight. This is important in that these natural ingredients will go a long way in preventing your pooch from becoming overweight or obese. As we know, obesity in pets can present a number of health issues that only gets worse with age.
- Confidence – This benefit belongs to the dog owner! Selecting the best natural dog food for your four-legged companion has to give you a sense of security and happiness!
Best Natural Dog Food … 4 Great Options
Below you will find four of the best natural dog food products on the market, in my opinion. I feel this way based on my research and the number of positive reviews with this research. To be perfectly transparent here, I have only used the Wellness Complete Health with one of my pets over the years, being satisfied with this product.
For your convenience, I have listed each of these products as well as the features of each. Simply click on the product name to learn more. Hopefully, one of these products will be one that you have been looking for, and to make the decision process a much easier one for you.
Wellness Complete Health … (Features)
- Specially formulated to provide whole-body nutritional support.
- Developed without any GMOs, meat by-products, fillers or artificial preservatives.
- Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine.
- Crafted using carefully chosen ingredients that include premium proteins and wholesome grains.
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients.
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy … (Features)
- Made in the USA by a family-owned company using quality ingredients from trusted domestic and global sources.
- With real pasture-raised lamb as the #1 ingredient, this recipe is formulated with precise protein and mineral content to support the needs of large breed puppies.
Nutro Natural Choice (Features)
- Made in the USA with ingredients from around the world that have been carefully sourced from a trusted network of farmers.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient for paw-some taste.
- Natural fiber promotes healthy digestion and happy tummies.
- Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids promote skin and coat health.
- Calcium supports strong bones and joints.
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient (Features)
- Salmon is the first ingredient in this recipe, providing essential protein and amino acids to help maintain strong muscles, while sweet potato offers a grain-free source of fiber for digestive health.
- Formulated with a simplified list of premium ingredients—a single animal protein source and no grains, soy, gluten, artificial colors or flavors.
- Crafted with nutritious ingredients such as sweet potatoes and flaxseed
- Complete diet balanced with essential nutrients to help maintain a healthy immune system.
- Natural Balance offers delicious, nutrient-rich recipes for all dogs, including those with sensitive stomachs, irritable skin and allergies.
- Salmon is the first ingredient in this recipe, providing essential protein and amino acids to help maintain strong muscles, while sweet potatoes offer a grain-free source of fiber to support healthy digestion.
- Crafted with nutritious ingredients including sweet potatoes and flaxseed.
- Complete and balanced with essential nutrients to help maintain a healthy immune system.
Hopefully, this article has helped you to gain some valuable insight as it relates to the best natural dog food. You have learned how the term ‘natural’ is defined by the pet food industry as well as the benefits associated with these products. In addition, you have now learned about four natural and healthy options that may be a great fit for your pooch!
It’s always a wise decision to discuss the natural dog food options with your veterinarian before making a choice. No one knows your four-legged companion better than you do, so make this choice with that in mind. I wish you the best moving forward, to the health of your pet!
>> Click each product below for all available recipes <<
For those unfamiliar with dog food grain-free recipes, there has and is a controversy taking place as I write this article. The FDA has made public that it has launched an investigation between a possible connection between the grain-free diet and heart disease within dogs. For further information, the American Kennel Club has provided further details. Click here.
The purpose of this site and articles are intended to provide a source of entertainment and information. As a dog owner and dog lover myself, I enjoy researching dog food products on the market to provide you with helpful insights. I am not a veterinarian nor an animal nutritionist, just a dog owner who wants to provide a healthy lifestyle to their pet. I use my research to express an opinion which may or may not be one you agree with.
eathealthydoggy.com assumes no responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of what’s written on this site. You should always consult with a veterinarian if you should have questions regarding your dog’s diet or overall health.