As compassionate dog owners, selecting a healthy and wholesome diet for our pets, can be a stressful task. We tend to focus our attention with the product’s meat source, choosing between such items as chicken, beef, fish, or other protein ingredients. We all know that a quality, nutritional protein source is vital to our dog’s health.
Do you consider the role that grains play in your dog’s overall diet? What impact will grains have on your pet’s health? Well, in this article we will take a look at this question as well as looking at one popular dog food company (Merrick) that claims to provide a healthy source of grains. Is Merrick Healthy Grains For Dogs the real deal? Let’s dig in:
Grains In Dog Food … (Good or Bad?)
Before we dig deeper into this specific Merrick dog food product, let’s examine some of the common grains you will find in most dog foods. Just check the ingredient list of any bag of kibble and you will find a combination if not the total list of these grains:
So, should grains be a part of our dog’s diet? What nutritional value do they provide? To be perfectly blunt, the answers to these questions have been argued on both sides. Some pet food nutritionists and vets believe grains do in fact provide nutritional value while others would argue this belief. I researched this debate more thoroughly in the article you can read here.
Merrick Healthy Grains For Dogs … Good Option?
Okay, let’s assume you are comfortable in providing grains in your dog’s diet. There are literally hundreds of products on the market that include grains in their recipes. So what about the Merrick Healthy Grains formula? Let’s take a look at this specific product now and seven things you may want to consider. Let’s go:
- Balanced Nutrition: Merrick Healthy Grains dog food is formulated to provide a balanced and complete diet for your furry companion. It typically contains a mix of proteins, healthy grains (such as quinoa, brown rice, or barley), vegetables, and fruits to offer a well-rounded nutritional profile.
- High-Quality Ingredients: Merrick Pet Care places an emphasis on sourcing high-quality, natural ingredients. The company often uses real meat as the primary ingredient, which can be appealing to pet owners who want to ensure their dogs are eating nutritious and wholesome foods.
- Grain Variety: While some dogs may have grain allergies or sensitivities, many others can tolerate grains well. Merrick Healthy Grains provides a variety of grains that can offer essential nutrients and fiber to support your dog’s overall health.
- Digestive Health: The inclusion of healthy grains in Merrick’s dog food may promote better digestive health for some dogs. Grains can be a good source of fiber, aiding in digestion and maintaining regular bowel movements.
- Energy and Satiety: The combination of protein and healthy grains can provide a good source of energy for your dog, helping them stay active and maintain a healthy weight. Additionally, the inclusion of grains may help your dog feel full and satisfied after meals.
- Coat and Skin Health: A balanced diet that includes essential nutrients from sources like grains, proteins, and omega fatty acids can contribute to healthier skin and a shiny coat for your dog.
- No Artificial Additives: Merrick Healthy Grains for dogs is typically free from artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives, which can be beneficial for dogs with sensitivities or allergies to artificial additives.
As you can see from the 7 points listed above, the Merrick Healthy Grains appears to be a good choice for dog owners. With all the dog food brands on the market today, choosing a quality brand can be a difficult task. The Merrick brand is a popular choice amongst dog owners, but why? Below I have listed a number of items that separates this brand from others.
Merrick Dog Food … What Makes It Different?
Besides the Merrick Healthy Grain product that we are currently discussing, the company produces a number of various recipes. You can be almost certain that Merrick will provide a recipe that will fit and meet the needs of your pup. In addition to this, the company makes a number of claims that may appeal to dog owners. Here are a few of these claims:
Healthy grains in dog food can provide several nutritional benefits for dogs when included in appropriate amounts. It’s important to note that not all grains are suitable for all dogs, as some dogs may have specific dietary sensitivities or allergies to certain grains. However, for dogs that can tolerate and benefit from grains, here are some reasons why they can be considered healthy:
Grains are a good source of carbohydrates, which provide energy for dogs. Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose, which is essential for the proper functioning of various organs and tissues in the body. In addition, grains often contain dietary fiber, which can aid in digestion and promote gastrointestinal health. Fiber helps regulate bowel movements and can be particularly beneficial for dogs with sensitive stomachs or constipation issues.
Many grains are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins (e.g., B vitamins) and minerals (e.g., iron, magnesium, and zinc), which contribute to overall health and well-being. The inclusion of healthy grains may also help dogs to feel fuller which may be beneficial for weight management and preventing overeating.
Grains can be more affordable than some alternative ingredients, making them a cost-effective option for providing nutrition in dog food. While some dogs have gluten allergies, there are gluten-free grains available, such as rice, oats, and quinoa, that can be suitable for those with sensitivities.
Dr. Cristina Bustamante, an associate veterinarian with Caring Hands Animal Hospital in Florida and founder of Dr. B. Vet, stated the following, “As a veterinarian, I recommend that dogs eat diets that contain grains,” science has shown that dogs should have grains in their diets and that they can digest them well. In fact, when pets have an upset stomach, giving them boiled rice or pasta can help their symptoms!”
If you are still unsure about grains in dog food, always consult with your vet or nutritionist to help in the decision making process. My goal in this article was to provide you with an option that is quite popular with pet owners. For your convenience, I have listed a number of the Merrick Healthy Grains for dogs recipes below. Simply click on each product to see further details:
For those unfamiliar with dog food grain-free recipes, there has and is a controversy taking place as I write this article. The FDA has made public that it has launched an investigation between a possible connection between the grain-free diet and heart disease within dogs. For further information, the American Kennel Club has provided further details. Click here.
The purpose of this site and articles are intended to provide a source of entertainment and information. As a dog owner and dog lover myself, I enjoy researching dog food products on the market to provide you with helpful insights. I am not a veterinarian nor an animal nutritionist, just a dog owner who wants to provide a healthy lifestyle to their pet. I use my research to express an opinion which may or may not be one you agree with.