Hello again, dog lovers! In this article, I wanted to take a look at a brand of dog food that you may not be familiar with. This particular brand is known as AvoDerm and offers a number of recipes that may appeal to you and your pet. With my research, I wanted to provide you with my own thoughts on this dog food brand and compare it to other AvoDerm Dog Food Reviews. Let’s get started:
This post may contain affiliate links and I may receive a small commission if you travel to the vendor website (Chewy.com) via affiliate links I provide, and make a purchase of one or more of my recommended products. The pricing or value of your product will not be affected whatsoever by doing so.
Who Is AvoDerm Dog Food?
AvoDerm is a specific brand of pet food (Dogs/Cats) that is produced by Breeder’s Choice Pet Foods. The company has been in business since 1947 and holds its headquarters in the USA (Irwindale, California.)
The AvoDerm brand itself was not introduced until 1982, and didn’t take long for the AvoDerm products to become the company’s best selling and popular product. The AvoDerm dog food products continue to grow in popularity amongst dog owners.
Why Choose AvoDerm Dog Food?
According to the company itself, there are a number of reasons that dog owners should consider this brand of dog food. Below, I have listed a number of these to give you a better idea to what this brand offers. Here you go:
- Recipes and formulas contain nutrient dense natural ingredients with a healthy meat protein
- Recipes contain a healthy source of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins that promote overall health from the inside
- Recipes are produced in the USA (California)
- Recipes include a source of wholesome grains
What Is This ‘Avo’ in AvoDerm?
Secret ingredient, right? Well, actually no, as the ‘avo’ is short for the avocado which AvoDerm uses in all of its formulas. According to the company, the avocado offers a number of benefits to the dog’s diet including a healthy source of omega fatty acids. This specific ingredient helps to promote a healthy skin to your pet and nutrients to keep that coat looking good.
Avocados actually contain a number of other properties that can be significant to the overall health of your pet. These include a quality protein, a healthy fat, and antioxidants. To be honest, I was unaware of the number of benefits that this juicy fruit actually provides.
Which AvoDerm Formulas Are The Best Fit For Your Pooch?
As with my other dry dog food reviews, choosing the right dog food for your best friend really comes down to the needs of your individual pet. Each dog is different and unique in their own way, so finding a formula should be centered around these specific needs.
The AvoDerm dog food brand understands this concept as well, and produces formulas to meet these needs. Below I have listed a number of formulas designed for the specific needs or requirements of our four-legged companions. Let’s take a look:
- Form ( Available in both the kibble and wet forms )
- Life Stage ( Available in Puppy, Adult, Senior, All Life Stages )
- Breed Size ( Small and Large )
- Health Considerations ( Limited Ingredient, Grain-Free, Weight, Joints, Skin & Coat, and Food Intolerance )
As you can see, the company offers a number of choices that pet owners can choose from. Let’s now take a look at some of the pros and cons associated with the AvoDerm products below. We will start with the Pros first:
Throughout my AvoDerm dog food review, it became quite clear to me that many dog owners were quite pleased with the AvoDerm products. The company certainly claims that their dog food products are one that provides a healthy, nutritional diet. Let’s look at some pros:
- Ingredients – Fresh and healthy
- Formulas are high in protein, vitamins and minerals
- Variety of products to choose from ( Needs of your pet )
- Testing ( Company claims to test each product before it leaves for shipping )
- Balanced nutrition
- The addition of avocado and its benefits
- Formulated without by-products, soy, corn, wheat or artificial flavors or colors
- Made in the USA
- Can be a little pricey than other brands
- Some dogs simply didn’t seem to enjoy the taste
- May not be available in some pet stores
- In September 2012, the FDA did issue a recall for a certain batch of AvoDerm Natural Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Adult Dog Food due to potential salmonella contamination. There have been no recall since.
As you can see, the pros seem to outweigh the cons by a large margin. This is also evident in the number of customer reviews that I came across when researching this particular brand. Okay, let’s now take a look at the recipes offered by AvoDerm.
When you buy something from this website, I may receive an affiliate commission. These are my opinions and are not representative of the companies that create these products. My reviews are based on my own personal experiences and research. I never recommend poor quality products or create false reviews in order to receive a commission. My intention is to provide you with information so you can make decisions to which products may best suit your needs.
Dry Recipes ( Adult Dog )
- AvoDerm Original Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Adult – This formula is intended for the adult dog and uses lamb meal as the healthy protein. The AvoDerm Original Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Adult features vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant nutrients to help protect your dog’s immune function. Formulated to be rich in high quality fats and oils with a balanced Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acid ratio. Avocados included that are packed with nearly 20 vitamins, minerals & phytonutrients.
2. AvoDerm Original Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Adult – Another adult formula, the AvoDerm Original Chicken Meal & Brown Rice recipe is made with a healthy source of chicken meal as its protein. Quality ingredients are used such as premium proteins without corn or wheat, and the Avocado and avocado oil can help support the skin and coat from the inside out for the protection your pet needs. High quality ingredients ensure that you are providing the optimal nutrition your pet needs. Avocado and avocado oil can help support the skin and coat from the inside out for the protection your pet needs.
Dry Recipes ( Breed Size )
3. AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal & Brown Rice (Small Breed) Adult – The Adult AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal & Brown Rice For The Small Breed also uses chicken meal as its first ingredient and healthy protein. Specially Made For Small Breed Adults under 20 lbs. Optimal nutrition can be found in each bite size kibble. Formulated to be rich in high quality fats and oils with balanced Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acid ratio and also contains Avocado and avocado oil to help support the skin and coat from the inside out for the protection your pet needs.
4. AvoDerm Chicken Meal & Brown Rice (Large Breed) Adult – The AvoDerm Chicken Meal & Brown Rice For The Large Breed is formulated with antioxidant-rich kibble and made with recognizable ingredients like chicken meal, rice, oatmeal, salmon meal and real avocados from California. Specially created for large breed, adult dogs, this recipe also has natural chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine to help support your pal’s bone and joint health, which is especially important for your big buddy. Crafted with only natural ingredients and never any corn, wheat, soy, by-product meals, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
5. AvoDerm Natural Chicken Meal & Brown Rice (Puppy) – The Avoderm Natural Chicken Meal & Brown Rice (Puppy) recipe is designed for that adorable puppy. As a healthy protein as the first ingredient, this formula also adds quality ingredients that provide healthy, balanced levels of protein, fat, and nutrients for puppies, pregnant females and lactating mothers. Features vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant nutrients to help support your dog’s immune function along with DHA for healthy development.
6. AvoDerm (Senior) Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Recipe – This recipe is formulated with the senior dog in mind. The AvoDerm (Senior) Chicken Meal & Brown Rice contains a healthy source of protein and is formulated to be rich in high quality fats and oils with a balanced Omega-6 to Omega-3 fatty acid ratio. Chicken cartilage is added, a natural source of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine, to help maintain healthy joints. Avocado and Avocado Oil provides additional support to the skin and coat.
7. AvoDerm Weight Support Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Formula – Does your pooch have a few extra pounds on his frame? If so, the AvoDerm Weight Support Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Formula is a great choice if your pet could lose a few pounds or has become less active. Features vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant nutrients to help support your dog’s immune function. Avocado and avocado oil can help support the skin and coat from the inside out for the protection your pet needs.
8. AvoDerm Advanced Joint Health Grain-Free Chicken Meal Formula – The AvoDerm Advanced Joint Health Grain-Free Chicken Meal Formula is designed to help the aging dog who may need some help with joints. Features chicken meal as the first ingredient with real chicken cartilage, peas and beans for ample protein. Helps maintain healthy hips and joints with naturally sourced chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine. Healthy ingredients without wheat, corn, soy, by-product meals, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
9. AvoDerm Natural Original Formula – The AvoDerm Natural Original Formula is a canned version that uses only quality ingredients in all our formulas to provide healthy, balanced levels of protein, fat, and nutrients for adult dogs. Also contains antioxidant nutrients are added to help support a healthy immune system and overall wellness. Available in a case of 12. Also contains avocado which is known for being rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6, which benefits the skin & coat.
10. AvoDerm Natural Grain-Free Beef & Potato Stew (Adult & Puppy) – Get the best of both worlds here, as this formula is appropriate for the puppy and adult dog. Grain-free and provides quality protein sources that are ideal for dogs with sensitivities to other protein sources. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols to ensure freshness and palatability with no corn, wheat or soy contained within the recipe. Available in a case of 12.
The company also offers a ‘Revolving Menu’ where you can choose a few options of protein that will provide a variety to your dog’s taste buds.
To be clear, I have given you a sample of just a number of products that the AvoDerm offers to dog owners. For a complete list, simply click HERE.
As my did my research on this product, it became very clear that many dog owners who have used the AvoDerm dog food products seem quite satisfied with the results. The company seems to be committed to the pet owner, and produces recipes using healthy, natural ingredients.
I was also pleasantly surprised with the variety of products made available. Age, Breed Size, and Health Considerations are all taken into account with formulas being targeted at these specific needs. Kibble or wet, both apply in these recipes.
In my opinion, the AvoDerm Pet Products should be one that is highly considered. As always, should you have additional questions, always consult with your veterinarian. No one knows your pet better than you do, and the AvoDerm dog food products does give you a number of options. Thank you for visiting my site, to your health and your pet’s!