Okay, let’s tackle an issue that most, if not all dog owners will be faced with at one time or another. Fur and more fur! We all know that our pets need a good brushing now and then to prevent those nasty mats and to keep our companions feeling healthy and happy.
In this article, I will look into a brush that has worked well for me, and one that I use daily with my Afghan Hound. If you know anything at all about this breed, you probably are aware of the brushing and grooming that is needed and necessary. I use the Furminator Dog Brush and one that has provided excellent results.
What Is The Furminator Dog Brush?
The Furminator is a quality brush that comes in a number of various options. Which option you choose really comes down to the type of fur your pet has, and the type of grooming you desire. Below, I have listed these various options to help you decide which Furminator Dog Brush would best fit your needs. Here they are:
When you buy something from this website, I may receive an affiliate commission. These are my opinions and are not representative of the companies that create these products. My reviews are based on my own personal experiences and research. I never recommend poor quality products or create false reviews in order to receive a commission. My intention is to provide you with information so you can make decisions to which products may best suit your needs.
- Furminator Firm Slicker Brush – This particular brush is available in both a small and large size which gives the dog owner a choice. Features straight bristles on one side and bent bristles on the other which helps to remove surface mats and tangles without doing damage to your dog’s coat. Best for medium, long and curly coats.
- Furminator Soft Slicker Brush – Offers the same features as the Firm Slicker Brush but is more suitable for those dogs with silky and wiry coats. Also available in the small and large sizes.
- Furminator Dual Dog Brush – A great tool (one that I use) that features pins on one side of the brush and bristles on the other. Effectively removes tangles, mats and loose hair without damaging your pet’s fur. The pin side of the brush works well with long-coated furs where the the bristle can handle almost any type of fur.
- Furminator deShedding Edge Dog Brush – This fantastic tool comes with a number of choices including the size and style. It is available in the small, medium, and large sizes as well as being available for the short and long hair pooch. The stainless-steel edge is able to reach through your pet’s topcoat to remove hair within the undercoat without doing harm to your pet’s skin. Simply follow the directions to complete this task safely. Helps to reduce your dog’s shedding up to 90% with a regular routine. A little pricier than the other two, but a great tool to keep your pet well-groomed. Below is a short video so you can see this brush being used.
Is Brushing/Grooming Your Dog That Big Of Deal?
I would bet that most of you dog owners would know the answer to this question, but those who may have some hesitation, let’s look at a few reasons below that you may want to consider. I’m sure some of these will look familiar to you. Here we go:
- Health (You and your Pet) – A routine of brushing your dog regularly is advantageous for a number of reasons. First of all, ridding your pet of nasty mats or loose fur will help in making your companion feel better. Mats can pull at the skin and result in pain or discomfort. Brushing your pet will also give you the advantage in discovering a potential abnormalities. (Bumps, sores, etc.) Finally, brushing your dog will help reduce the dander within your household environment which helps eliminate unwanted particles you breathe in.
- Appearance/Beauty – Our pets simply look and feel better when they are brushed and groomed on a regular basis. Just like us, when we look good, we feel good. Pets are no different and it gives us a sense of joy when we watch them prance their ‘stuff.’
- Bonding/Love – A regular or daily routine of brushing can and will result in something both you and your pet look forward to. Those few minutes it takes to brush your pet will result in a strong bond and intimacy.
- Less trips to the groomer – I’m not suggesting that regular grooming and brushing will completely eliminate the use of a professional groomer, but it may result in fewer visits. Fewer visits results in less money coming out of your pocket.
Well, I hope this article has provided some insight regarding the care of our pets. I would recommend that you make brushing a daily routine with your pet, and hopefully look forward to this task.
I shared with you a number of dog brushes that are produced by Furminator, a company with a solid reputation and one that I personally recommend. As I mentioned earlier, the Furminator brushes are available in a number of types, sizes and prices.
I wish you the best with the grooming of your pet, and please feel free to ask a question or leave a comment below. Thanks for visiting. To you and your pet!