I’m sure all of you out there have heard about the Purina Dog Food Brand. Whether it be television commercials, magazine ads, or spotting the bags in your local pet store, the Purina brand is out there. In this article, I wanted to take a look at one specific product, the Purina Beyond Dog Food to see what it had to offer.
In my research, I wanted to see what made this product different from so many others on the market and to find out if it provided any health benefits to our pooches. Because the Purina brand is so well-known, it wasn’t difficult for me to find the information I was looking for. Let’s get started:
What About The ‘Beyond’ in Purina?
To be clear, the Purina company produces a wide variety of pet food products for both dogs and cats. The Purina Beyond Dog Food brand is one that the company is proud of, as they promote it as a natural source of pet food. As the pet food industry as evolved and as dog owners have become more educated in the importance of providing a quality diet to their pets, Purina appears to have a good grasp on both components.
In response to this, Purina formulated the ‘Beyond’ brand to satisfy the needs of pet owners. The ‘Beyond’ brand, as you might assume, offers a variety of products in a number of protein flavors that I will detail in just a few minutes.
Why Choose The Purina ‘Beyond’ Dog Food? What To Like
As I mentioned earlier, the Purina brand has been around for a very long time (Close to 90 years) and remains a popular choice for pet owners all over the world. A company known as Nestle-Purina which is huge in the pet food industry, produces the Purina products. With that said, let’s take a look at what the ‘Beyond’ has to offer:
- Company states that it is a natural brand of dog food
- Products are absent from artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- No corn, wheat, or soy are part of the ingredients
- Products contain essential nutrients to promote overall health
- Works closely with pet nutritionists in the production of this product
- Ingredients are sourced from trusted suppliers
- Variety of choices to choose from
- Assurance and quality staff inspects ingredients before they become part of your dog’s food
In addition to these things, I researched a number of customer reviews on the Chewy.com website and found that the majority of dog owners were pleased with these products. I chose the Purina Beyond Simply 9 White Meat Chicken & Whole Barley Recipe Dry with these reviews. Let’s take a look at a few of these below:
“We switched both of our dogs to this food two months ago. They are doing really well on it. One has allergies, and she seems a little better on this food than she was on the novelty, higher-priced foods they have eaten over the past 12 years. Another has limited teeth, and this food softens easily and quickly in water. They always seem happy at meal time and clean their bowls. With the current scare and the unknowns about grain-free dog food and heart disease, I’m pleased to find a food with good ingredients that has grain and doesn’t have legumes, potatoes, or beet pulp.”
“My lab was such a picky eater and he absolutely loves this. Immediately solved his tummy issues. He never gets tired of it either.”
What’s Not To Like About Purina Beyond Dog Food?
As with any product, you are sure to find some negative or less favorable opinions or concerns regarding a specific product. The same holds true for the Purina ‘Beyond’ brand, which you will find below.
My research took me to a number of customer reviews that were found in the Chewy.com website. Although the majority of the reviews I read through were of a positive nature, there were a few that expressed a negative experience.
For example, I chose the Purina Beyond Simply 9 White Meat Chicken & Whole Barley Recipe Dry to name a few negative comments and thoughts on this product. Let’s take a look at a few of these below:
“My dogs didn’t like it. I even mixed it with the former food, and they wouldn’t eat it. I suppose everything is not for every one. I have 2 male pugs. Thank you for asking.”
“I had recently purchased the same brand but a grain free dog food and my dog loved it. But when I visited my vet she told me that our dogs need some grain and the grain free is really hard on their heart. So I came back here and bought this thinking that since she loved the taste of the grain free, and the brand was the same, she would like this. I mixed them together in an effort to wean her off the old food and she actually spits this new food out and only eats the old. Not sure what it is but she sure didn’t like the taste.”
Any Recalls On The Purina ‘Beyond’ Brand?
Although a somewhat newer brand of the Purina products, there has been one recall associated with the Beyond brand. Let’s take a look at this below:
August 2013 – Purina One Beyond recalls Chicken and Barley Recipe for possible salmonella risk. This has been the only recall associated with the Purina Beyond products.
Well, there you have it. As you can tell from the article, there are a number of things in my opinion that are favorable regarding the Purina Beyond Dog Food. You will also find a few things that may bring about a pause when considering this product.
It is not my intent to persuade you one way or the other, but just to deliver what my research has shown. It certainly appears to me that the company is producing the Purina Beyond brand to those pet owners who are looking for a natural form of food that contains added vitamins, nutrients and minerals to provide their pet with a quality meal.
The fact that the Purina Company has been around for nearly a century suggests to me that the company has been made pet owners satisfied over the years. They have certainly evolved over time, and seem to stay current with their recipes to satisfy their customers.
In my opinion, the Purina Beyond dog food brand is an above-average source of dog food. Are there better products on the market? Probably. Worst products? Absolutely! With any type of dog food, I always advise consulting with your veterinarian to gain further insight in making the best choice for your four-legged companion.
Thank you for visiting my site. To your health, and the health of your pet!
For those looking to purchase or gain more information on the Beyond products, I have listed a number of these recipes below.
1. Purina Beyond Grain-Free Beef & Egg Recipe Dry
- North American raised beef is the #1 ingredient in this natural, grain and gluten-free food for adult dogs. It’s a complete, balanced meal, and has been formulated without common allergens like corn, wheat, or soy, so it’s great for pet’s with sensitivities to those ingredients.
- There’s no poultry by-product meal, added artificial colors, flavors or preservatives, just natural ingredients plus vitamins and minerals so you can feel confident about feeding your pup.
- High quality carbohydrates like pea starch and cassava root flour provide your pet with the energy they need, while high quality chicken meal gives them the protein needed to support lean muscle mass.
- Eggs are included for their added protein as well as their essential fatty acids, contributing to healthy skin and a shiny coat. Green peas help provide a quality source of fiber, aiding in the maintenance of a healthy digestive tract.
2. Purina Beyond Simply 9 White Meat Chicken & Whole Barley Recipe Dry
- Dogs love the savory recipe with real chicken as the first ingredient and eggs for added protein and essential acids.
- Wholesome formula contains no wheat, soy or corn, by-product meals, artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
- Satisfyingly crunchy kibble provides 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult dogs of all breeds and sizes.
- Barley, rice and accents of carrots provide a boost of fiber, promoting the maintenance of a healthy digestive tract.
- Food through over 680 quality and safety checks to ensure the overall well-being and health of canine companions.
3. Purina Beyond Superfood Blend Salmon, Egg & Pumpkin Recipe Dry
- Real salmon is the #1 ingredient for a high-quality source of protein and amino acids that help build and maintain your pal’s muscles.
- Pumpkin and whole oatmeal help create a well-rounded recipe and give him a meal created with nutrient-dense ingredients.
- Complete and balanced nutrition your pal needs to support his long-term health and well-being, plus essential vitamins and minerals.
- Superfood recipe to meet your ingredient standards, and doesn’t contain any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or poultry by-product meal.
- Real, recognizable ingredients for added peace of mind, and ingredients that can be traced back to trusted sources.
4. Purina Beyond Small Dog White Meat Chicken, Barley & Egg Recipe Dry
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient for a high-quality source of protein and amino acids that help build and maintain your pal’s muscles.
- Tailored to meet the nutritional needs of small dogs, so you can rest easy knowing he’s getting the essential vitamins and minerals he needs.
- Bite-sized kibble designed for small mouths with high-quality ingredients specifically chosen to work together and provide the nutrition he needs to live a long, healthy life.
- Healthy recipe to meet your ingredient standards, and never any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or poultry by-product meal.
- Made with ingredients that can be traced back to trusted sources, so you can rest easy knowing your pal is getting the nourishment he deserves without any of the extra stuff he doesn’t.
5. Purina Beyond Ocean Whitefish, Salmon & Sweet Potato Grain-Free Canned
- Grain free wet food recipe is made with ocean whitefish as the first ingredient for natural protein to support healthy, active muscles.
- Formulated with only select ingredients in every can, like salmon, ocean whitefish and sweet potatoes.
- Enhanced with vitamins and minerals for overall health, plus antioxidants for a healthy immune system.
- Provides a complete and balanced diet for adult dogs, on its own or as a kibble mixer or topper.
- Made with zero grains, corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal, or artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
6. Purina Beyond Grain-Free Chicken, Lamb & Spinach Recipe Ground Entree Canned
- Safe and honestly sourced ingredients include real chicken as the first ingredient.
- Also includes lamb and spinach, served in a delicious gravy that dogs find irresistible.
- Nutritionally complete recipe is packed with vitamins and minerals to support overall health.
- Grain-free formula gives your pet all the nourishment they need, and nothing they don’t.
- Made in the USA with no corn, wheat, soy, poultry by-product meal or artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
7. Purina Beyond Wild Prey-Inspired Grain-Free High Protein Turkey, Liver & Duck Pate Canned
- Real turkey is the #1 ingredient for a high-quality source of protein and amino acids, plus a natural source of glucosamine for joint health and mobility.
- Every serving has a high-protein content to help maintain your furry best friend’s lean muscles and stay strong.
- Prey-inspired meal that delivers nutrient-dense formula your fur baby would naturally seek in the wild.
- Made with nutrient-rich organ meat for a good source of vitamin A, iron, protein and essential amino acids your pal needs.
- Grain-free recipe to meet your ingredient standards, and never any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or poultry by-product meal.
For a complete list of the Purina Beyond products, simply click here.
For those unfamiliar with dog food grain-free recipes, there has and is a controversy taking place as I write this article. The FDA has made public that it has launched an investigation between a possible connection between the grain-free diet and heart disease within dogs. For further information, the American Kennel Club has provided further details. Click here.
The purpose of this site and articles are intended to provide a source of entertainment and information. As a dog owner and dog lover myself, I enjoy researching dog food products on the market to provide you with helpful insights. I am not a veterinarian nor an animal nutritionist, just a dog owner who wants to provide a healthy lifestyle to their pet. I use my research to express an opinion which may or may not be one you agree with.
eathealthydoggy.com assumes no responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of what’s written on this site. You should always consult with a veterinarian if you should have questions regarding your dog’s diet or overall health.